Sunday, November 4, 2012

Blood Angels Rhino


The Warhammer 40k models roll on. My first tank in red, with my other sporting a Death Company paint scheme. This Blood Angels Rhino has seen better days. It was a funny feeling painting this first, like it just rolled off the assembly line, to just turn the messy brush on it to make it look weathered and damaged. More Pictures if you...


I will say, I think I went a little overboard on the damage. Its one of those things that you cant turn back on once you do it, so I learned a lesson there. I had fun painting this one, the random nature of the damage/weathering was liberating, which explains why I went overboard.  The initial painting was monotonus, light coat of red after light coat.. I didn't think it would ever end. 


The inspiration for the gold thing on the side came from the halos that some of the higher ranking models had above their heads, and some of the banners are caped with. I think its a fairly unique design, as far as the side of tanks go, I'm reasonably happy with it. I'm not too worried about it looking imperfect, because I figure its a decoration pained on by the marines in between battles, at least thats the way I see it. The mud on the side was done by dry brushing, starting with a black/brown mix, moving down to a lighter brown. 


I liked this side a lot better, I painted a little drop; I guess you cant really say blood drop, what kind of drop is it? I thought the mud came out better here, but it was kind of a random process. 


Nothing to special on the front. I was determined to put the yellow caution stripes somewhere, managed to get them on the bottom here. 



I guess the design on the top is kind of the most noticeable part of the tank. I am working on another sanguinary priest that I am pretty excited about, and figured he would probably be riding around in this, so the grail seemed fitting. Once again, i'm ok with it not looking perfect.

The next tank I paint will probably have a lot less weathering. I wont say that I am unhappy with the result of this, but I'm not terribly happy about it either. As always, lessons were learned. Painting a tank, is a lot different than painting troops. 














No comments:

Post a Comment