Friday, October 26, 2012

Blood Angels Sanguinary Guard


Blood Angels Sanguinary Guard

They're here! The Sanguinary Guard is the #1 reason that I chose to start a Blood Angels army. After being scared to paint them, because I didn't trust my painting abilities, here they are. Classic paint style, only real difference would be that I gave them the gold top on the wings. My first figures with some creativity on the bases; I went with a red brick look. More pictures ahead!


I've been looking forward to painting these guys since the day I started looking at  buying some Warhammer 40k figures. I bought my lot on ebay, and was quite frankly, intimidated by them. I think the Sanguinary Guard should shine like a beacon on any table they stand upon. In my opinion they are some of the most beautiful models I have seen in all the space marine armies, and maybe all of 40k. One of their purposes in battle is to draw fire, and distract attention; and a good paint is essential for this function. 

Blood Angels Sanguinary Guard plasma pistolBlood Angels Sanguinary Guard plasma pistol

Blood Angels Sanguinary Guard plasma pistol

I wanted these guys to stand higher than the average Assault Marine. I figured some creative use of clay would look a lot better than just some clear plastic rod, which I have seen some people use to give the impression of flight. I had some polymer clay from the Samus Aran project that I was working on, which I used to make some bases. I wanted to tie these guys into the rest of my army a bit, so a red brick Idea seemed perfect to me. Of course if it was just red brick, that would be boring! so these guys are standing on the remains of some old red brick road. 

Blood Angels Sanguinary Guard power fistBlood Angels Sanguinary Guard power fist

Blood Angels Sanguinary Guard power fist

This guy leaves a mark! I thought this model looked heavy with the power fist, and wanted to give the appearance of him actually doing damage to the terrain.  I didn't catch it very well in the pictures, but he is supposed to be crushing the brick beneath his feet. Soon he will be crushing the sides of tanks, and the faces of his enemies. He looks angry doesn't he?

Blood Angels Sanguinary Guard bannerBlood Angels Sanguinary Guard banner

Blood Angels Sanguinary Guard banner

None were more intimidating than the banner carrier. The thought of painting that banner gave me nightmares, and it was time consuming. taking a look at my army from a distance, and this would be one of the first things your eyes will spot, so it needed to look at least clean. I'm happy with it, the colors worked for me, and the highlights on the robe came out nicely. 

Blood Angels Sanguinary Guard paintBlood Angels Sanguinary Guard paint

Blood Angels Sanguinary Guard paintBlood Angels Sanguinary Guard paint

Its an odd feeling having the Sanguinary Guard painted. I had been building up the excitement for these guys so much, its kind of sad that i'm done now. There was an internal struggle that I had while painting these guys. I really thought that painting the wings black would look amazing in contrast to the gold, but ultimately decided that it would make them blend in with the rest of my army too much. Overall, i'm quite happy with how these guys came out, and I think I had the most fun taking these Sanguinary Guard pictures.

Blood Angels Sanguinary Guard picture

Blood Angels Sanguinary Guard picture


ブラッドエンシェル サングィナリーガード













No comments:

Post a Comment